Friday, July 17, 2009

Pretty Papel

I received an email yesterday from a soon-to-be bride who, much like myself, is trying to cut costs whenever and wherever possible. The question was specifically about purchasing paper for DIY wedding invitations. When I first started doing research on the costs of all things wedding, my very good girlfriend Bonnie tipped me off to Kelly paper.

Kelly Paper has a plethora of paper. They stock a variety of sizes, colors, textures and brands. Here is my advice:

1. Do some observational research and identify what type of invitation you want. Try looking through a few bridal magazines or go to your favorite stationary store, find the look that you are after.

2. Take copious notes about the details of invitations that you like. Be sure to list color pallets, types of paper used. Go ahead, tear pages out of your bridal magazines, that is what they are there for!

3. Once armed with the knowledge of what you want, go to Kelly Paper and have their associates lead you to the materials that they have available.

Save The Date
My Save The Date

Note: Kelly Paper worked for me because I was willing to compromise. There is a brand that my local Kelly Paper is carrying now called "Colors & Cuts." These are pre-cut invitation type papers comparable to what you might see in a fancier stationary store. There is a limited selection of colors to choose from. They did not have the exact shades that I was looking for in that brand, however, I was able to get a ream of cardstock paper in a shade close to what I wanted for $10. Out of that 1 ream (500 sheets) I've turned standard colored cardstock into "Pretty Papel." I have created my save the date postcards (above) and I am in the midst of making my invitations, response cards, and I may be able to make all of the programs for my wedding as well.

Michael's craft store is also worth checking out. Another one of my very good girlfriends, Megan, purchased all of the papers and materials for her wedding invitations at Michael's and her invites were gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment